What is your dog's origin?
Breeding service – parentage, paternity and identity testing
We offer DNA profiling of your dog using 10 microsatellite markers. If desired or necessary, additional microsatellites are available and can be included to the analysis. Here, also the standard ISAG marker set using 18 microsatellites including Amelogenin (sexing marker) can be applied that enables national and international comparability.
Strong partner in dog genotyping and breeding
For many years, we worked with several nation-wide as well as international dog breeding associations.
Hence, Eurofins has delevoped a huge database of genetic fingerprints of a lot of dog varieties.
Please request the specific price for your query through our contact form.
For some dog species there also exist specific contracts with breeding associations.
For further information, just contact us!
Your question, our answer
The following questions could be arise:
By DNA analysis the individual, unforgeable and life-long unchangeable genetic fingerprint is determined. Comparing the genetic profile of parents and pups enables the confirmation of parentage of the offspring.
Comparing the genetic fingerprint of stored and newly sampled DNA samples enables the possibility to identify recovered animals.
In contrast to other marker-based methods (e.g. microchips) the genetic fingerprint is not susceptible for manipulation.
For DNA analysis we would need EDTA blood (1-3 mL) that should be retrieved by a veterinary.
Besides, also mouth swabs and hairs with roots (5-10 pieces) can be used.
Please note the following specifications for using oral samples:
- for oral swabs you will need a cotton wool wad that can be a commercial wad or one provided by Eurofins
- please use two swabs per animal
- rub and turn the swab thoroughly at the oral mucosa to receive as much as mucosa cells (essential is the amount of cells and not of saliva); this procedure is absolutely free of pain for the animal
- the oral cavity should be free of feed rests; hence, do not sample your animal shortly after feeding
- let the swab air dry for about 5 minutes
- do not touch the cotton wool area
- insert the swabs into a labeled envelope (provided with the swab sticks); you can insert the second swab into the same envelope
- please use for every animal a seperate envelope and specifiy the identity of the animal clearly
- if you use commercially available cotton wool wads, please cut off the second, non-used side of the stick
Please consider this guidance carefully. For juristic accepted certificates the sampling should be performed and recorded by an independent person.
Generally, the results are expected to be ready within two weeks.
The results/certificates will be send to the person who submitted the samples. If a breeding association has send the sample the result will be forwarded by the breeding association to the animal owner.
In consultation with the breeding association the results can be entered into a central database, if the animal owner agrees.
If desired, the DNA can be stored for longer time at Eurofins. Please let us know, if this will be required.